Tuesday 1 June 2010

Beyond at the Tour of Wessex - 29-31 May 2010

Judging by the 1000+ people signed up for the Tour of Wessex and chat on various cycle forums, this event was central to many people's cycling calendar. Stephen (see previous blog for details of his new Trek Madone) and I in our infinite wisdom, however, had earmarked this three day 'tour' as a kind of masochistic training programme. We had big events on the horizon and need big mileage fast. What doesn't kill you,  makes you stronger. Right?

The weather forecast for day one had hinted on broken showers. In typical fashion this was completely wrong and it rained on us during every one of the 108 miles of the first day. Despite the inclement weather, a broken seat post clamp and a torn tub, we finished in a respectable time and around the 50th riders back (of over 1000). Had we been able to see through the water coming off the person in front's wheel we would have admired Glastonbury Tor, Cheddar Gorge and the 1:5 Alfred's Tower.

With over 100 miles in our legs already, day two served up 120 miles with around 2000m of climbing. The weather had improved markedly and it was an opportunity to work on our cycling hard men sun tans - read: burn and go red. We pretty quickly got into a rhythm and in an effort to get a quick group going worked a little too hard on the front. However, around 30 miles in we were joined by five or six riders from Henley CC (or some such) who were blisteringly quick. In no time we had a group of 15 hammering out 45-50km/h down to the Dorset coast. Road race stylee. After 20 miles in the 'hurt locker' I could see a blow up in my imminent future and decided to ease off. Stephen, who is rapidly acquiring hero hard man status, pushed on with the group which soon became, six then five then four and finally three before he also succumbed to the pace. The return from the Dorset coast was in to a vicious headwind and in our respective groups we did what we could to suffer home. In the end Stephen came in around 30 mins ahead of me. Chapeaux!

The third and final day took place in warm sunshine. By this point we had tired legs and we were not looking forward to the three mile, 25%, climb up Dunkery Beacon. The pace was obviously slower as we rolled out of Somerton and despite my attempts to lift the pace (160km solo breakaway anyone?) it took some time before we were up and cruising. Once again we managed to get in a decent group and before long we were knocking on the door of the Beacon. I can only describe this as one of the toughest climbs I have ever ridden. It really is relentless and, if my Garmin is to be believed, was as steep as 1:3 for a short section. Stephen (again!) rode strongly and at the top of this horrific climb he was just ahead of me. However, by this stage my legs were in pieces and I decided that I needed a 10 minute rest at the feed station. That was the last I saw of him and he managed to get in a good group for the remaining 50 miles. I also found a strong group but it was a little small and by this point people were dropping like flies. However, in a perverse twist, my legs found renewed strength and I rode (Cancellara style) the last 25 miles in a little over an hour and 10mins. I was suitably rewarded with a bacon roll by the sole rider who had clung to my wheel.


All in all, an excellent three big days in the saddle. Good signage, challenging routes and slabs of cake like you have never seen. BUT also very tough and I'm nursing sore legs. Friday we leave for southern France for a training week in the Southern Alps - another chance for Stephen to break me no doubt!

No comments:

Post a Comment